Monday, October 24, 2011

My dad taught me the biggest lesson three days ago.

In case you haven't realized, I'm a very loud individual. One of my youth Pastor's always used to say upon greeting me, "Whoa, whoa, where's the volume button?" Upon this statement, I would begin to scream in laughter.

I'm loud...I laugh loud, I talk loud, I argue loud, I cry loud, the list goes on.

My dad is a silent person in the morning. He likes to sit down, play on his iPad, and eat his breakfast in almost complete silence. Sometimes when I come in the kitchen and open the refrigerator, close the refrigerator, open a cabinet, close the cabinet, and after a series of events, want to engage in conversation in the morning, he goes, "Renae, Renae, Renae, shhhhh, not now." To this statement I respond, "But dad!!!!!!" I normally leave the kitchen after, rolling my eyes and mumbling something negative.

I came home from somewhere in the afternoon a few days ago and began to tell him about my experience, he said, "Renae, shhh, not so loud." I responded, "Dad, what the heck, this is who I am." He immediately said, "And this is who I am." My statement had a connotation of, "Just deal with it, I'm loud," and his statement was said with the same underlying statement, "Just deal with it, I'm not."

This taught me so much in so few words.

Compromise man, and take the other person's needs and treat them as if they were your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment